Friday 8 October 2010

September 2010

9 months post transplant

At last – September – I had been looking forward to this month for so long. My next goal was now in sight.

When I was in hospital recovering from the transplant and becoming tired after a few simple stretches and yoga exercises, the thought of climbing on 400ft sea cliffs seemed light years away. The docs had stopped me climbing back in early summer of 2008 so with the loss of fitness combined with the transplant and my advancing years there had been times when I thought that returning to climbing would be out of the question. But never say never. Back in December my climbing partner rang up when I was in hospital to see if I was interested in going climbing on Lundy in September 2010, I said “Yes”.

After my first attempts at climbing back in the summer I thought I’d still be going along but only really as a tourist with perhaps a crack at the odd very easy climb. I had assumed that the timing of our trip was to coincide with the climbing club meet which would provide a pool of climbers with a wide range of ability and that I could join the novice section. However this was not to be as our group’s visit was arranged for two weeks in advance of the club meet (at the request of someone who subsequently dropped out of the trip – but that’s another story...) So in the end there were four of us, two blokes who climb at high grades, the wife of one of them who doesn’t climb at all ...and me. I began to worry that either I would get into situations that were beyond me or that I might not get any climbing done at all. Based on my climbing progress so far I thought that with the best will in the world, even if the weather was favourable, I would probably only be strong enough to climb on alternate days.

As I was supposed to have my first infusion of donor lymphocytes just before the Lundy trip and it was possible that I might have a reaction from it, I was able to negotiate that it be delayed till we got back.

As it turned out, we had excellent weather for six days. I climbed for five and a half of those and really enjoyed it. The best day in achievement terms was the one when I got to the crag only to discover I’d left my climbing shoes back at the accommodation. Paul kindly lent me his extra pair of shoes which were 3 sizes too large. (To get the best out of climbing shoes they should be worn very close fitting so that your feet engage well with the rock). I then led all three pitches of a 400ft route. It was The Devil’s Slide – a Lundy classic which was on my “must do” list. At least it was only a middling grade. However the next climb was the highest grade I’d ever climbed and there was a stream of water running down it! Having abseiled down to the bottom of the cliff and with the tide coming in (very fast as it does in the Bristol Channel!) there was no alternative but to give it a go. I have to say I felt pretty pleased with myself when I completed that in my clown shoes!

There was an extra bit of adventure at the end of the trip when the weather deteriorated and neither the boat nor the helicopter could get out to the island so we had an extra night and were helicoptered off the next day – Great! I’d never been in a helicopter before AND I got to sit up with the pilot! – just as well there wasn’t a medical emergency!

As the date set for the lymphocytes was the same as the extra one we had to spend on the island, it meant that there was a delay with them too. However, the hospitals were very good, adjusted the date and it all went through without a problem. Although they had said it would be fine for me to drive myself there and back, I’d been given piriton in case of any reaction to the lymphocytes. It was only the lesser oral dose but I felt scarily sleepy on the return journey so I think next time I’ll have to either counteract it with caffeine tablets or take someone with me. Other than that there were no negative effects.

On the Sunday following we watched the Great North Run on television and as always with these kind of events I felt inspired by it. Nick and I ran the GNR 25 years ago – could we run it again next year? I discovered that the Aplastic Anaemia Trust has a few places in the event and so another goal began to form in my head – Team Lyness could take part next year! This is still just an idea though and since I haven’t run for something like twenty years I’m not really an obvious candidate – never mind the transplant! Nick has run the London Marathon 4 times (though not in the last few years) and number 2 son has just completed his first triathlon so I think the onus will be more on them.

Something I have decided to run for the Aplastic Anaemia Trust is their quiz which takes place in November. It is a national quiz with the same questions being asked in different venues around the country at the same time. So if you are reading this and live in Dorset get in touch and make up a team!

On the activity front, I have now signed up for a block of yoga sessions rather than just the odd one and have managed a couple of sea swims this month as well as a twenty three mile bike ride and a few shorter ones. I went to the climbing wall for the first time in months. It is quite different to outdoor climbing, more athletic and requiring more stamina as the pace is faster. I think it will take a few visits before I can claim “wall” fitness.

A bit of a breakthrough at my monthly hospital appointment – I was at last given permission to dye my hair! Woop! Woop! Actually my hair is not too bad . It’s short and very curly but it is also very grey. ... And I can also at last have the massage I was given as a present a year ago! So it’s all booked for the beginning of October. Whereas I had expected to be told I could return to work after a year (i.e. after Christmas) the consultant told me that my immune system is still low and that it will be at least April before I can return to work. This puts a new slant on things so I will have to begin to consider my options - work, retirement, different kind of work/ business.

3 comments:

  1. Seems you have written huuuuuge epistles since I last looked at your website.

    I'm very pleased to hear that all is well and sorry I missed your quiz night.

    Maybe I might run with you if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Post thanks a lot for this awesome information. I love to read this kind of article.


    Smith ALan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I'm not sure if you still look at your blog but i just came across it.
    my name is toby, i was diagnosed with severe aplastic anaemia in june 2010 when i was 17.
    my blog is: http://ineedbonemarrow.blogspot.com/

    I guess i'd just like to talk to someone who is coping with this...

    ReplyDelete